"There are many dangerous and virtually thankless jobs in the world.
I think of the city police officer who risks his life every day just because he believes that ordinary citizens have a right to be protected from criminals. Or the fire fighter who rushes into a blazing building without regard for his own safety, intent on saving the life of someone else. Then there is the coal-miner, who spends his days in a darkened world far below the earth's surface.
Such people have my admiration and my respect.
But I'll tell you something else. They have nothing on the person who has the toughest job in the family.
No, I'm not talking about Dad, although his job can be plenty tough at times. Nor am I talking about Mom, even though we know that she's really the glue that keeps the family together. The toughest job in the family goes, hands down, to the firstborn.
If you are a firstborn, you know from first hand experience what I'm talking about. You know very well that you have always lived your life in the limelight - you've always been the one who is supposed to set the perfect example for everyone else. (...)
At the same time I can sense that there are a lot of people out there thinking: "What's he talking about? Why, it can't be so tough to be the firstborn child!" If that's your response, I can tell something about you right away: You are not a firstborn, or you'd never talk that way! ....."
This is the beginning of a great book I am reading now, "Growing up Firstborn", by Dr Kevin Leman. I have always been wanting to read a book on this topic and now somebody borrowed this one to me. Soo happy!
1 comment:
Oh, I would LOVE to read it too...since I am a first born & also to help my first born!
Post a Comment